Join in by adding trail information

If you have a favorite ride post something about that ride. I have many Garmin tracks. Riding the Legacy, Jordan, Bonneville shoreline, Antelope Island, Gosseberry Mesa, as seen in the photo above, Saltair, MS 150, Salt Lake Bike Marathon just to name a few.
Many of my rides are 1 1/2 hours plus and ranging from 15 to 25 for the mountain bike for parkway routes. Shoreline 8-10 miles.
Road bike times are longer with mileages 35-60 once I get into the season.
Riding for me is not just excersise, so no time contstraints when ever possible, most of the time.



Monday, June 13, 2011

Upper valley loop

The weather is killing my enthusiasm, just when I think there is a chance to ride for a few days it rains. Saturday’s ride was nice, headed out from Salt Lake to the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon. I Zigzag my way up into the Holiday area to Highland Drive and then south to Walker lane where I make my way to Holliday Blvd.
Traveling south to 6200 passing by the Cotton Bottom and onto the trail which winds its way into the Old Mill area.  The river is very fast and full, some distance up there is a retention pond and its not too far from being full.  Just past here the trail crosses to the north side of the road for a bit and then you  are on the road, it’s here that the road steepens for  the final push to 7200 below the Porcupine Bar.
From here I head north to Parleys Canyon, water is on so I fill my bottles.  Across the gulley there is another drinking fountain just before joining Foothill Blvd, you will see it on your right.  It’s a short distance on the Blvd. before you turn right going up to the next street. Signs point the way and tell you this is part of the shoreline trail. After several stop signs you arrive at 1300 south which you cross and continue north up and around the golf course and past the upper parking lots for Hogle Zoo. A left at the top here short downhill and yet another water stop if needed, there is a fountain just west of pavilion.
I don’t risk the Emigration Canyon along with the fact I am getting tired, I head west to Waikura way turn north and go to north end of the road. Short climb 1 block east, north again, east past the U of U equipment building to the parking lot for the Medical Center.  Past the center I head west past the Old Fort Douglas Club and turn right on the first road west.  A few stop signs, a climb up and over to to 11th Ave and west again. Finally  some rest from the climbing and the wind.
At the “B” street I turn north and make the loop past City Creek to the Capitol. From here it is a fast downhill and busy streets. The remaining ride is all surface roads I keep a reasonable pace when possible and try to take different roads sightseeing a little, total ride 40-43 miles 2900 calories that’s what its all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment